An EHO (Environmental Health Officer) will visit your food business regularly and check you are operating to a level that ensures food safety standards and being upheld. The EHO not only conducts an audit of the business, but they are also there to advise, so feel free to pick their brain on any concerns or issues you may have. So, what does an EHO look for when conducting an audit?*
- Is food handled in a hygienic and safe manner?
- Is food stored at the correct temperature and out of the danger zone (5oC – 63 oC).
- How is food cooked, cooled, chilled and is food effectively separated to ensure there is no risk of cross-contamination?
- Staff hygiene practices, illness records.
Food Safety Management System
- How the business manages and records the steps it takes to ensure food is safe.
- The procedures that are in place to ensure food is safe to eat.
- Effective record keeping is completed.
- Staff awareness on policies and procedure. Food safety training.
- Traceability information
- Menus, recipes, allergen information
Structure of Building
- Good food premises design and layout including finishes, equipment, ventilation, and lighting.
- Effective cleaning in place
- Pest proofed building and effective pest control in place.
- Effective waste control
”Conducting frequent internal audits can help to ensure you are complying with legislation and highlight any gaps or areas that may need some work. Having a proactive approach to food safety can help identify any problems before they arise. Prevention is always the best approach when it comes to food safety.
Here at Enlitened we can help to be covered and compliant in all areas of food safety. Take a look at some of our packages here https://enlitened.ie/prices-packages/
If you would like to discuss how we can help you through Food Safety Training, Audits or Food Safety Management you can contact us at email@example.com or call 00 353 87 9814655.
*This document highlights just some of the key areas an EHO may inspect on conducting an audit and is not an exhaustive list.